Word Verification...Accessibility...

Spamming necessitates the temporary use of "captchas," which are more commonly known as "word verification." The childhood act of spamming leads me to take this action temporarily.

I am well aware, and saddened by the fact, that while captchas filter out--thwart--spammers, they also make the act of making comments impossible for individuals who use screen readers.

Be assured, I am working to rectify that situation.


Saturday, August 6, 2011

Epilepsy Chronicles: The Other Face

     Some coworkers feared I might have a seizure on command.  Others feared it happening in their presence.  I understand.  Being out of control of my body in my mind's eye.  I understand.  Yet, not moreso than when I happened upon a seizure of a man awaiting a bus. 
     "Focus on the positive, and ignore negative behavior,"  Mom chants in the deep reaches of my memory.  From my earliest memory, "Focus on the positive, and ignore negative behavior."
     I understood what he needed.  Not medically.  Yet, I knew what help he needed from the many helpless people who surrounded him.  I knew the helpless individuals, who surrounded him, were far from helpless.  While others surrounding me were viewing their first seizure, I was on the other end of the seizure.  I understood what he needed.
     I had never met the seizing man before witnessing his seizure.  I have not seen him since that day.
    Yet, I was given a voice--words to speak---for a reason.  I am not committed to vengeance against other individuals.  Yet, I can and must commit myself to positive vengeance against the excessive electrical energy in my brain, the root of my disabilities.  I can and must be the human irritant--the nacre--that contributes to pearls of understanding.  

No comments:

Post a Comment