Word Verification...Accessibility...

Spamming necessitates the temporary use of "captchas," which are more commonly known as "word verification." The childhood act of spamming leads me to take this action temporarily.

I am well aware, and saddened by the fact, that while captchas filter out--thwart--spammers, they also make the act of making comments impossible for individuals who use screen readers.

Be assured, I am working to rectify that situation.


Sunday, July 31, 2011

Epilepsy Chronicles: How Long Did It Last?

"How long did the seizure last?"
     You know I live alone!  Let's see...I should be able to figure that out.  After all, I wasn't doing anything.  Oh, that's right, I forgot.  I know that I am lucky, because I usually get an aura--a feeling like you get when coming inside on a sunny day.  So, I knew to look at the clock before the seizure started.  Once the seizure stopped, I looked at the clock again.  Based on that the seizure lasted....Get real...my attention was hardly directed toward how long the seizure lasted.
    I do know it is important information to him.  I know that my neurologist can diagnose a seizure, in part, by its duration.
    How do I tell you that there is more to my seizure than its length?  How can I convey to you--you know--I live alone.  I am capable of doing so.  Yet, I am a bit preoccupied during a seizure.  But, how on earth do I tell YOU that.  You are a skilled neurologist, but, your people skills leave a lot to be desired.
     In the future, I will do everything I can to check the clock before and after the seizure.  After all, I don't want to disappoint you.
     There has to be another way to determine how long a seizure lasts.  After all, not everyone with seizures can live with someone or be with someone every moment of a day and night.  It just isn't practical!  
     What are people thinking?  Or ARE people thinking?  And people say that I am not very responsive.
The doctors tell me that my thought process is messed up after a seizure.  But, what about their thought processes? What excuses do they have for  being messed up in their thought processes.
    "How long did the seizure last?"
     Do you have any idea of how ridiculous your question sounds?  Have you ever had a seizure before?  Are you aware of the time warp I experience during a seizure?  ...Seconds last for minutes....minutes seem like hours...
    "How long did the seizure last?"

No comments:

Post a Comment