Word Verification...Accessibility...

Spamming necessitates the temporary use of "captchas," which are more commonly known as "word verification." The childhood act of spamming leads me to take this action temporarily.

I am well aware, and saddened by the fact, that while captchas filter out--thwart--spammers, they also make the act of making comments impossible for individuals who use screen readers.

Be assured, I am working to rectify that situation.


Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Zoomer Chronicles: Damn Door Opener Buttons

     Given the choice, I much prefer doors equipped with handicap door opener buttons than those without them.  That said, let me go on record as saying that not all door openers are created equal.    
      Equality of door openers consists of four components--The side of the door on which the door opener is positioned, the proximity of the door opener to the door.  Is the door opener located right on the door, or is the door opener located on the left side?
     My judgment of equality is skewed by two  facts.  I tend to forget about both--both have been lifelong physical companions.  I do not have full use of my right hand.  I do not have any fine motor skills in my right hand.  So, although I can use my hand as a support for my left hand, I cannot use it for any manipulative purposes.  I tend to forget that I do not have good peripheral vision on my right side.  So, as far as Zoomer is concerned, that fact has been responsible for three accidents on my right side.
     While learning to navigate door openers, and elevators, I gashed the right armrest of Zoomer.  Following several gashes, I hit the armrest once again--for good measure.  The last time, as though in slow motion, the gash in the armrest looked more like a cavernous divide.  None of those times did I suffer any bodily injury.  That made the gashes, or cavernous divide more palatable.
    On Monday, I was reacquainted with an old friend. I have made a concerted effort to ride outside with Zoomer.  I have done so for a number of reasons.  First, while the sidewalks are free of snow and ice, I want to gain confidence in what and how much Zoomer and I can do together.  Secondly, I want to improve my indoor navigational skills in more confined spaces by improving my general navigational skills in a less demanding--less confining--space.
     Handicap door openers.  There are extremes.  The creme de la creme of handicap door openers is the Minnesota Children's Museum's front door.  You wheel up to the front door--to the right side of the front door--and press the handicap door opener.  Within seconds, both the right and the left doors open to make way for your entrance.  Talk about having the doors opened for you.
    Yesterday, I met up with an old friend.  My absence from using this door opener did not bring me fondness toward him.  Who is he?  I don't know his name, but he is located on Wabasha Street close to Seventh Street in St. Paul.  He is located in the heart of  St. Paul.  I had forgotten that his door opener button was located on the right frame of the door, rather than on a pole in front of the door.  
    Usually, I have my right arm folded at my elbow in my lap.  Well...on Monday I did not.  That fact, combined with the position of the door opener meant that I did not allow enough room on Zoomer's ride side to clear the door.  My right pinkie finger took the door full force.  Ouch.  It was a painful lesson to be much more cognizant of my right side, and much more cognizant of door opener button positions.
     Damn door opener buttons. 

No comments:

Post a Comment