Word Verification...Accessibility...

Spamming necessitates the temporary use of "captchas," which are more commonly known as "word verification." The childhood act of spamming leads me to take this action temporarily.

I am well aware, and saddened by the fact, that while captchas filter out--thwart--spammers, they also make the act of making comments impossible for individuals who use screen readers.

Be assured, I am working to rectify that situation.


Saturday, July 23, 2011

Zoomer Chronicles: Open Doors....Open Spaces...

     Open doors.  Open spaces.  I am new to navigating narrow halls, small elevators, doorways, and other such barricades.
     Yesterday, literally by accident, I was called to return to a well-established business that I have supported for nearly 30 years--an optical store.  Although it is true that they were a bit snobbish, they were convenient physically.  Just down the block from my first downtown home, they were the obvious choice.
     A fall while volunteering branded my left temple with a touch of red, and positioned my purple glasses askew.  As quickly as my temple will heal, I needed my purple glasses to be properly placed on my face.
     Aware that the doors were not open to Zoomer, I justified my continued business patronage by telling myself that I did not need to visit the store often.  Yet, "did not need to visit the store often" is too often to meet my needs.  Asking for help is one thing.  I am more comfortable in doing so now than before Zoomer.  Yet, I found myself isolated from help longer than I was comfortable, and more than any pride I feel about having to ask for help.  Although there was no physical threshold to surmount, the personal threshold--is too great.
    Dignity and stolen dignity are two distinct creatures.  Dignity is the willingness to go out with Zoomer, knowing that there will be mishaps with door openers, nicked walls, and the like.  Dignity is recognizing that going out with Zoomer is more important than pride's perfection.
     Stolen dignity is cavalier business practices--practices that dismiss the reasons behind making design adaptations, or accommodations as outlined in the Americans with Disabilities Act.  [I confess  I need to return to the precise call of the Act.]  Stolen dignity is dismissal of business patronage, and her demographic.  Stolen dignity is the affirmation that only individuals who do not use wheelchairs are the potential customers of a given business.
    I am not fierce in my advocacy.  I am new to navigating terrain in a wheelchair.  The hijacker of my nervous system lurks in the weeds waiting for me to lose my cool demeanor--my inner calm.  So, I negotiate with the hijacker.   My business loyalty will not open the doors--open the eyes--to the obstacles they place between their cash registers, and the potential of a broader customer base.
     Dignity.
     I shall preserve my dignity.  I shall meet her needs.  I shall knock on the door on another downtown optical business to see if they have seen the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment