Word Verification...Accessibility...

Spamming necessitates the temporary use of "captchas," which are more commonly known as "word verification." The childhood act of spamming leads me to take this action temporarily.

I am well aware, and saddened by the fact, that while captchas filter out--thwart--spammers, they also make the act of making comments impossible for individuals who use screen readers.

Be assured, I am working to rectify that situation.


Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Dignity...Defiance...Grace

     During this morning's swim, two words came to mind--dignity, and grace.  Are they related? If so, how so?
    Dignity seems firm,  Grace seems more ethereal.
    Dignity brings to mind my maternal grandmother.  In 1970, long before today's advances in the treatment of breast cancer, my grandmother had a mastectomy.  Mom said that it ravaged my grandmother physically.  Yet, she was one of the most dignified, elegant women I have known.  She had her faults--her superstitions.  Yet, she was an amazing model of dignity to me.
    Dignity.  According to the Online Etymology Dictionary http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=dignity&searchmode=none dignity is derived from "worthiness," from dignus "worth (n.), worthy, proper, fitting" from PIE *dek-no-, from base *dek- "to take, accept" 
   Grace. According to  the Online Etymology Dictionary, grace is derived from  late 12c., "God's favor or help," from O.Fr. grace "pardon, divine grace, mercy; favor, thanks; elegance, virtue" (12c.), from L. gratia "favor, esteem, regard; pleasing quality, good will, gratitude" (cf. It. grazia, Sp. gracia), from gratus "pleasing, agreeable," from PIE base *gwere- "to favor" (cf. Skt. grnati "sings, praises, announces," Lith. giriu "to praise, celebrate," Avestan gar- "to praise").
    Dignity and grace floated into my consciousness in the midst of a personal valuation--how do I live?
    To live with dignity is a worthy aspiration.  Authentic dignity, not righteous indignation regarding individuals, or principles.
     Grace.  Something seems missing.  Grace can seem to be a soft way of living.  Soft may be too soft of a term.  But, let me offer another term that contrasts with grace to clarify grace.
    Defiance. 
    For many years, I lived defiantly.  I was judged to be incapable of performing given tasks on numerous occasions.  Although not always expressed, it was implied.  My response was, "Do you wanna make a bet?"  I wanted to defy expectations of me, and demonstrate what I could do.     
    According to the Online Etymology Dictionary, defiance is derived from  c.1300, from O.Fr. desfiance "challenge, declaration of war," from desfiant, prp. of desfier.
    Defiance was not necessary.  Now it is counterproductive.  I cannot entrust my body to the forces of defiance.  I must immerse my spirit in grace--seek favor from God--so as to live fully.     

No comments:

Post a Comment