Word Verification...Accessibility...

Spamming necessitates the temporary use of "captchas," which are more commonly known as "word verification." The childhood act of spamming leads me to take this action temporarily.

I am well aware, and saddened by the fact, that while captchas filter out--thwart--spammers, they also make the act of making comments impossible for individuals who use screen readers.

Be assured, I am working to rectify that situation.


Saturday, February 26, 2011

Dependence's Reconciliation

     What will dependence demand of me to reconcile?
     I have never been good at reconciliation--my bank account--my physical needs.  Neither have been my strengths.  I had a strong inner sense of both balances.  My bank balance has been more stable than my physical balance.  I knew the limits of both--or so I thought--so, I did not waste my anxiety on balance--on those balances.  I lived within my means--or so I thought.
     Ray--I am too young to be called "Grandpa"--spoke treasured words to me in the last years of his life.  My grandmother having died, Ray lived with us.  Listening to this beloved storyteller share his life experiences, I knew the younger alterego of this shy man had quite a temper.  He had deeply ingrained stereotypes not softened by age.  So, his words are all the more treasured.  "When I die, don't feel sad.  I have made amends with everyone I had differences with.  Ray was no scholar.  But, Ray was brilliant in his understanding of reconciliation.  I try to live by Ray's words.  Yet, I do better in reconciling with others than I do in reconciling with my self--with my body.
      My physical balance is changing.  My stamina long gone, my physical balance demands my attention.  I am called to reconcile my life's accounting--my balance of independence at one end of the teeter totter and dependence at the other end.  I have tried to brace myself for the radical changes that lay ahead.  Literally, I brace myself from my foot to my calf--you could say that I am on the right side of bracing myself.  I am physically.  Time will tell whether I am on the right side of bracing myself fully for the future.
    Physical balance demands putting one foot in front of the other.  Physical balance demands deliberation of movement.  Balanced living demands of me now deliberation of mind.
    Yesterday's step toward balance was to answer the second of three questions. "What will dependence demand of me to reconcile?"  
    My question's posing was to an independent contractor, whose product and services I was seeking.  I accepted that he had the mechanical knowledge I needed.  I presumed that to be enough to meet our mutual needs.  Yet, I was surprised to be told that I did not need to do a certain task.  He  seemed to dismiss my need.  Would the electric wheelchair enable me to open doors, get through my bedroom door, most notably?  I know my weakness for defensiveness.  I tried to disrobe myself of any defensiveness.
     I am willing to hear that I may not be able to accomplish a given task--perform a given maneuver--with this machine--with this alien entering my life.  I may not like the answer I am given.  But, I must ask the question if I am to be able to accommodate my life to a changing body.  I must receive answers.
     I may not be able to be independent as I have known myself to be for 50 years.  Yet, if I am to proceed with any semblance of independence, even if I am not, I need to know.  If all independence is taken from me, I need to know so that I make other arrangements to live differently.  For now, all of my independence is not being taken from me.  Yet, I do need to have as much information as possible to allow me to do a different form of life planning than I ever imagined.  I did not have a full appreciation of the partnership--the co-conspiratorial relationship between cerebral palsy and aging.  I could put my head in the sand.  I could ignore--deny---the issues, considerations, and questions that my future may call me to address.  But, I cannot fixate myself--every day's breath--with anxiety regarding what is to come.  I am called to acknowledge what I may not like now, while I have such a deep sense of love and support from family, friends, a worshiping community surrounding me.
      What will dependence demand of me to reconcile? 

No comments:

Post a Comment