Word Verification...Accessibility...

Spamming necessitates the temporary use of "captchas," which are more commonly known as "word verification." The childhood act of spamming leads me to take this action temporarily.

I am well aware, and saddened by the fact, that while captchas filter out--thwart--spammers, they also make the act of making comments impossible for individuals who use screen readers.

Be assured, I am working to rectify that situation.


Sunday, February 20, 2011

Love Your Enemy

     Jesus calls us to "love your enemy."  This morning's readings challenged my understanding of "enemy."  I hear "enemy" spoken ad nauseum in terms of world events, and terrorism.
     I resist the word "enemy."
     I have never found any good to be found in being hostile toward individuals, or groups, much less nations, who live by different beliefs than I have.  My belief may seem idealistic.  In reality, the contrary is true.
     My temptation has been to add "enemy" to the list of words banned from my vocabulary.  Closely related to the word "enemy" are the words, "courage," "courageous," "crippled," and "evil."
     My response to the list of personally banned words is abhorrence.  I abhor calling anyone an enemy, an act evil, a person a victim, or another individual a hero, not to mention brave, and courageous.  
     I must confess that I do not abhor "courage," and "courageous" as I did at one time.  Why?  Abhorrence can be a disservice, if it is nothing more than bravado.
    This morning's call from Jesus to "love your enemy" leaves me at a loss.
     Is it possible that "banning" it from my vocabulary only serves to blur my vision of, and deafen my hearing as to whom I need to be in communion with--individuals, and groups whom I do not understand today?
     Is it possible that Jesus is inviting me to listen to the words "enemy," and "evil" as adverbs, rather than as adjectives?        
     Am I being called to listen for what actions I need to take to change the world around me?
     Is it possible to be in communion with individuals, or groups, who are identified as "enemies."  How?
     What action does the adverb "enemy" call me to make, so that I may be in communion with the individuals, or groups so described.  Or, am I satisfied with coexisting with the adjectival "enemies" in my life--in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment