Word Verification...Accessibility...

Spamming necessitates the temporary use of "captchas," which are more commonly known as "word verification." The childhood act of spamming leads me to take this action temporarily.

I am well aware, and saddened by the fact, that while captchas filter out--thwart--spammers, they also make the act of making comments impossible for individuals who use screen readers.

Be assured, I am working to rectify that situation.


Monday, February 21, 2011

Perfection's Exhaustion

    Were you to ask me in younger days, I would have proclaimed myself to be an idealist.  I had principles that were contrary to the norm.  I was a fool enough to believe that I could conquer the norm with my enthusiasm.  To some degree, I did.  Yet, life's realities had other designs on me.
    I fought losing idealism as a compromise in my beliefs--a wholly unacceptable compromise.  I fought being a realist--a pragmatist.  That was an evil option I was determined to avoid at all costs.  I did not recognize what the nature or magnitude of those costs might be.
    This week I have spoke with a number of people, whom I think of as pragmatists--realists--reminded me of those two extremes.   Today reminded me to reevaluate how I understand myself.  
     Today's cold is having the unexpected effect of clarifying my misconception--of who the realists are, and who the idealists are.  One is not better than the other.  It is a balance between those two extremes that comes the closest to offering any modicum of fulfillment.  
     My friends express an idealism that I don't know how to reconcile.  Life is not perfect.  Seeking to find just the right life path to live one's principles does not guarantee a "happy"--a fulfilling life.  My friends are not alone in wanting to find that perfect life--that life without compromise.
     Being idealistic is exhausting.  It is not to say the investment should never be made.  Quite to the contrary.  Being idealistic is pragmatism's antidote.  Idealism is a vaccine protecting a person from being infected with cynicism.
     But, pragmatism is not the enemy--not idealism's antagonist.  I go to bed tonight exhausted by the idealist's demand for the perfect life's path.  I know no perfect pursuit, which is free of compromise.
     Is it possible that what we view as living a compromised life is in truth our perfection, rather than a pristine pursuit of an idyllic life to which we should aspire?

No comments:

Post a Comment