Word Verification...Accessibility...

Spamming necessitates the temporary use of "captchas," which are more commonly known as "word verification." The childhood act of spamming leads me to take this action temporarily.

I am well aware, and saddened by the fact, that while captchas filter out--thwart--spammers, they also make the act of making comments impossible for individuals who use screen readers.

Be assured, I am working to rectify that situation.


Saturday, April 9, 2011

A Self-Profile...A Pre-Requisite to Government Services

     As a confessed liberal, recent political events call me to reflect on the essence of government in our daily lives.  Yesterday, I reflected on the need for a smaller government--the need to be more self-reliant.  Today, I have the clarity of mind that was absent last night to examine the other side--the need for government in our daily lives.
     Before I may undertake an examination of government services, a profile is essential.  I do not support racial profiling, or profiling that is conducted by others with regard to me.  However, if I am to proclaim any degree of objective--reasonable--examination of government services, I must begin with a profile of who I am.
     Facts serve me best.  I begin with my profile.  I am single. I am a daughter, a sister, an aunt of adult nephews.  I am a citizen of the United States.  I have a birth certificate attesting to my birth in the State of Minnesota.  I am a Caucasian woman.  I am a resident of the City of St. Paul, Ramsey County, Minnesota.   I live in a condominium.  I use elevators each day.  I use mass transit, skyways--elevated walkways--to navigate Minnesota winters.
     I am not a mother.  I do not have any children.  I am not a business owner.  I do not drive. I am not an animal owner.  I do not gamble.  I do not drink--I do not want to cause a seizure.
     It is essential to identify who we are in such a prolific manner, before assessing our positions regarding the role of government in our lives.  Only after we have made such a thorough, specific, and thoughtful profile of ourselves may we proceed.  We are obligated to answer two questions.  A simple, singular answer will not emerge from these questions.  However, our answers are essential in their complexity.
     First, who am I in factual terms?  What are my personal roles in relationship to other people--to my community?  Where do I live?  Where do I work, be that full-time, part-time, or work outside of the paid  workforce?  What services do I need?
     Second, in factual terms, what roles common in relationships, and community do I not play?  What very basic needs do I not need in my daily life?
     Are we willing to undertake such a self-examination?  Is it easier to acquiesce to the prevailing community beliefs, and political positions?  Or is it easier to submit our resignation to others of differing beliefs?
     I believe such a self-examination is essential to being very precise about our needs--all of our needs.  My prayer is that clarity in decision-making, and a commitment to avoid hyperbole would emerge.

No comments:

Post a Comment