Word Verification...Accessibility...

Spamming necessitates the temporary use of "captchas," which are more commonly known as "word verification." The childhood act of spamming leads me to take this action temporarily.

I am well aware, and saddened by the fact, that while captchas filter out--thwart--spammers, they also make the act of making comments impossible for individuals who use screen readers.

Be assured, I am working to rectify that situation.


Friday, April 8, 2011

Respect. Listen. Negotiate. Compromise. Agree.

     It is quite simple. Agree on one basic principle as the foundation of all negotiations. None of us is guaranteed that we will wake up tomorrow with the same capacities we have today. We are equal partners. None of us is braver due to military service. None of us is less fortunate due to disability, financial status, or any other quality. Each of us is human. Sit down. Listen. Respect one another. Negotiate. Blame is a luxury we can ill-afford. Sit down. Listen. Respect. Negotiate. Compromise. Agree.

     The budget negotiations engender feelings different from moral indignation, or outrage.  Self-righteousness, outrage, and moral indignation siphon off the vital energy necessary to negotiate with reason, logic, and respect.  On a balance beam, this ballerina is left of center.  However, she does see the value of what both sides of this debate are saying.  
     To conservatives, I understand some of what you say.  It is our responsibility to be less dependent upon government, if we are to solve budget deficits.
     I don't know the extent to which I may do that.  Yet, you do lead me to reflect upon what my dependencies are.  What actions am I taking to depend upon the private sector, and spur business in my community?
     What actions have I taken?  Two primary investments stand out.  Long-term care insurance, and long-term disability insurance.  
     I recognize my needs--physical, financial, emotional, psychological, social, and spiritual.  I recognize my social status--not my economic classification.  I am single.  I have cerebral palsy.  I have epilepsy.  I take medication for seizures.  An ankle foot orthotic--a brace, and durable medical equipment--a wheelchair, are undeniable parts of my present, and my future.  These are facts.  My feelings regarding these facts are irrelevant luxuries that I can ill afford.
     Though the daughter of an accountant, I did not understand the practicalities of a balance sheet as deeply as I do today.  With facts, realities, needs, and resources identified, the next logical step is to ask, what actions am I taking, within my capacity to do so, to ensure that I live a high quality life.
     I am single--the youngest of three "children."  Though I am blessed with a loving family, I need to secure resources to ensure a full life.  Thus, long-term care insurance.  That is a contribution toward a future that I have yet to live.
     Cerebral palsy.  Epilepsy.  These two facts did not represent degenerative diseases in my understanding.  Epilepsy is not.  My cerebral palsy is a co-conspirator with my aging body.  My cerebral palsy accelerates my physical needs before they would present themselves to other individuals.  Though not fully aware of, or enthusiastic in embracing my future needs, a little voice of wisdom advocated on my behalf.  The wise, though timid, ballerina tiptoed into a long-term disability policy.
     Long-term care insurance, and long-term disability insurance are hardly glamorous trophies to display.  Yet, they are but two actions taken that will and have lessened my dependence on the government.  I have taken a small part toward lessening some of my dependence on government.
   Another action is more subtle--my intent.  I have no intent to ask for more than I need.  Needing and deserving are not synonymous.  
    In 2012, I will become eligible for Medicare.  I am fully aware of what is medically necessary for my survival.  Much is said of Medicare fraud, the ailing health of the Medicare program.  Yet, little is said of being cognizant of our medical needs versus our medical deservings for lack of a better word.   
   I nurture strong relationships with my family, and friends.  I am engaged in a vital faith community that challenges me to live fully.
     As to my liberal beliefs, my assessment is in different terms.  We do need to present a stronger case for the people we are trying to protect.  We do ourselves a great disservice to speak of those less fortunate than ourselves.  That weakens the entire basis of our beliefs.  Anytime we parade individuals up as poster children for a cause, we provide conservatives with an easy target.  In no way am I saying that the individuals mentioned are not worthy of the relevant services.
   We are not providing a clear picture of who needs the relevant services.  Any one of us may find ourselves in need of the various programs, and services for which we advocate.  Not sometime in the distant future.  Tomorrow.  We may find ourselves in such need tomorrow.  We must broaden the base of who the programs and services are promoted to benefit.  This is not easy.  It is difficult to admit.  It is difficult to demonstrate.  
    We must dispense with a we-versus-they, or us-versus-them model of policymaking.  As long as we preserve an us-versus-them policymaking model, it is the quality not the financial figures of our budget that will be in a state of deficiency.
    Each of us is responsible to make an honest accounting of our needs, our resources, our actions, and then return to our outstanding needs to settle this deficit.  We must dispense with bravery, and less fortunate than in order to center ourselves on the balance beam.

No comments:

Post a Comment