Word Verification...Accessibility...

Spamming necessitates the temporary use of "captchas," which are more commonly known as "word verification." The childhood act of spamming leads me to take this action temporarily.

I am well aware, and saddened by the fact, that while captchas filter out--thwart--spammers, they also make the act of making comments impossible for individuals who use screen readers.

Be assured, I am working to rectify that situation.


Monday, April 4, 2011

Crippled

     Nancy Mairs describes herself as crippled.  She is affected Multiple Sclerosis--significant aspects of her life.  Upon first reading her explanation regarding crippled, I cringed.  Childhood calls of "crippled" returned in an instant.  Mairs was clear.  She was not--she is not--prescribing the crippled label to all whose lives are in some way different from "normal,"  whatever "normal" is.
     I do not aspire to crippled certification, nor to being a cripple.  Yet, I respect her use of the label.  I understand the moment's hold it has on the body--on the mind.  Without aspiring to be crippled--to be a cripple--I must not run away, on my way to a different word, from the moment when crippled is the precise word that defines my moment's state.  Never did I imagine I would make such a statement about crippled, yet, it describes my current understanding.
    I am Patricia Ann Thorsen.  My family, my friends, and I call my self  "Patty."  Loss of stamina--loss of muscle tone--have brought me to stages I call physically challenged, and mobility impaired.  Yet, those terms do not encompass sufficiently the physical parts that are due to my cerebral palsy, and osteoarthritis.  I, like many people of a certain age, grew up as crippled, then handicapped, and then disabled.  I still describe the physical aspects, which have informed my spiritual self--my entire being--as disabled.  I do not mean to imply that disabled suffices to describe my entire being.
   I do need to be quite clear about my jigsaw puzzle pieces--crippled, handicapped, physically challenged, mobility impaired, and disabled.  Other jigsaw puzzle pieces well may enter my vocabulary--wheelchair user, wheelchair bound, confined to a wheelchair.  I do not think the latter two will define me, when I do get a wheelchair, and begin to use it.  Yet, in matter of fact, they will.   I pray that I will not run from the words before I become an intimate partner with my wheelchair--if she ever comes:)  This must be a journey, if I am not to fall victim to a wheelchair.
     I have no idea where this journey is headed--where I will travel.  Just as I had no idea of where I would arrive at the end of this posting, when I started writing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment