Word Verification...Accessibility...

Spamming necessitates the temporary use of "captchas," which are more commonly known as "word verification." The childhood act of spamming leads me to take this action temporarily.

I am well aware, and saddened by the fact, that while captchas filter out--thwart--spammers, they also make the act of making comments impossible for individuals who use screen readers.

Be assured, I am working to rectify that situation.


Thursday, April 7, 2011

Earthquakes and Seizures???

Eyewitnesses are reporting that a 7.4 earthquake has occurred in Japan.  I fear earthquakes.  I have never experienced an earthquake.  My fear is not routed in its unknown quality to me.  Not exactly.
     I have spoken with California earthquake veterans--Minnesota natives.  My questions??
     First, what does an earthquake feel like?
     Second, what distinguishes an afttershock from a separate earthquake?  Is it a function of time?  Is it a function of the earthquake's location?  Is it a function of the earthquake's strength?
     Third, how can you quantify the exponential nature of earthquakes on a human scale?
     Fourth, is there any parallel--scientific, or otherwise--between a seizure, and an earthquake?
     I have never heard anyone posit a correlation between earthquakes, and seizures.  I know individuals familiar with earthquakes.  I know some individuals with seizures.  Yet, no such lay experts have expressed this question.  I have had seizures since I was a kid.  Some of my seizures have been grand mal--tonic clonic seizures.  I have told family, friends, and coworkers that if I have a seizure to reassure me.  Specifically, during a tonic-clonic seizure, it feels as though my right arm and leg are going to fall off of my body, due to the violence of the shaking.  In my conscious moments, I know otherwise.  Yet, I have heard no one else report such feelings, or experiences.
     Finally, if a correlation between seizures and earthquakes does that correlation inform how seizures, and earthquakes exist?
     I don't know whom to address.  I don't know what forum to direct the individuals with information, and insights to offer what they know, feel, and experience.  I do know that information, experiences, feelings, and insights must be given credence if these questions are to be addressed.  The specific answers are not as important as is the use of a deliberative decision-making process.

No comments:

Post a Comment