Word Verification...Accessibility...

Spamming necessitates the temporary use of "captchas," which are more commonly known as "word verification." The childhood act of spamming leads me to take this action temporarily.

I am well aware, and saddened by the fact, that while captchas filter out--thwart--spammers, they also make the act of making comments impossible for individuals who use screen readers.

Be assured, I am working to rectify that situation.


Monday, May 2, 2011

bin Laden....Enemies...Evil...Peace...

     Last night, President Barack Obama announced that Osama bin Laden was killed.  I sat transfixed, remembering, as many others where I was when the twin towers of the World Trade Center were attacked.  Transfixed as I was, discomfort set in as the killing of Osama bin Laden--a human being--was celebrated with jubilation.  Complexity of my convictions set in--a Christian, a supporter of pro-choice, a pacifist, and an ardent supporter of "respect for life" in a broad sense.  See A Geography of Respect for Life  to discover how I understand "respect for life."
     In our daily lives, our elders advise us not to engage in acts of retaliation.  Clearly, the stakes involved in the advice we are given does not approximate the extremity of bin Laden's actions.  Yet, common to both situations is retaliation.  Is retaliation--an eye-for-an-eye, a tooth-for-a-tooth--a mentality constructive to addressing extreme crimes, and grave injustices?  Common to both situations, everyone involved is a human being.
     Do I celebrate that the underlying basis for our entry into Afghanistan is gone now?  Yes.  Do I believe that extinguishing Osama bin Laden helps our society to live with greater civility?  No.  Do I believe civility is essential for a fulfilling society?  Yes.  Extinguishing Osama bin Laden's life presents an opportunity to affirm a peace-filled alternative to future needs presented by Osama bin Laden's life, values, and actions.
     How may we be instruments of peace?

No comments:

Post a Comment