Word Verification...Accessibility...

Spamming necessitates the temporary use of "captchas," which are more commonly known as "word verification." The childhood act of spamming leads me to take this action temporarily.

I am well aware, and saddened by the fact, that while captchas filter out--thwart--spammers, they also make the act of making comments impossible for individuals who use screen readers.

Be assured, I am working to rectify that situation.


Thursday, April 14, 2011

A Decibelic, Hyperbolic Fast

     Lent in the Catholic Church is a time of fasting.  Food.  The only form of fasting seems to be food.  With tremendous guilt, I have resisted the admonition to fast.  I felt that to fast for a short period of time with the full knowledge that returning to the old ways defeated the purpose.  My understanding of fasting was to commit to a different long-term behavior that would contribute to living with greater commitment--with greater integrity.
     Yet, I have been offered more palatable forms of fasting to which I may be committed--to which I may will it so.  The U.S. budget debate is one offering of the inspiration to be differently committed.  My objective is to find reasonable, and logical options to participate in the debate.  I do not mean in the form of legislative proposals, or policies.  That is not where my life is centered, such that I could offer any worthy contribution.  As a child, I thought that listening to television news on a religious basis was the solution to be informed, if not directly involved.  When I left the work world, I committed myself to listening to television news as I distracted myself from personal issues beyond my control.
     As the decibel level of debate increases, fasting needs redefinition in my life.  Television news is comfortable white noise.  It does provide a marvelous front row seat to history--to Tahrir Square, most notably.  Condemning all of television news is just as bad as watching news comprised solely of hyperbole, and vitriol.
     Fasting, in my life, will be a commitment to avoid mindless listening to the vitriolic news I identify.  Fasting is a commitment to silence--to intimacy with her.  Fasting is a commitment to music to cleanse my mind of the noise around me--to direct my mind toward more constructive ideas, and perspectives that I may offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment