Word Verification...Accessibility...

Spamming necessitates the temporary use of "captchas," which are more commonly known as "word verification." The childhood act of spamming leads me to take this action temporarily.

I am well aware, and saddened by the fact, that while captchas filter out--thwart--spammers, they also make the act of making comments impossible for individuals who use screen readers.

Be assured, I am working to rectify that situation.


Friday, April 15, 2011

Anticipation. Appreciation.

    The wait has ended.  My wheelchair arrived.  My bedroom door has been removed.   The learning curve begins.
     For the first time in years last night, I moved ahead of someone with whom I was traveling.  They did not wait for me.  I showed some consideration by slowing down some.
     Do you know what that means?  I understand how it sounds. Pathetic, I fear.  Yet, do you know what that means?
     Yet to be learned?  Tight spaces.  Grocery stores.  Backing up. Doors. Door thresholds.  Busy times in the skyway--the elevated walkway from my condominium to shops, and business.  Much more that I don't know yet.
     My appreciation for life--for life at the age of 50--has been tested for the last few years.  The test has enabled me to redefine how I live.  I never imagined how I would leave the work world.  The word retirement still does not sit right with me.  I have not discovered what word does describe this phase after my working career.  To be able to pursue my passions--genealogy, research, and writing, I don't know the word or phrase that captures its essence.
     I thought I appreciated friends, family, and a strong faith community.  Yet, the last several years have proven to me that I did not begin to appreciate those treasures in my life as I do now.  I pray to live with that appreciation always, and in all ways.  May each of us, and all of us live bathe ourselves in that appreciation.

No comments:

Post a Comment