Word Verification...Accessibility...

Spamming necessitates the temporary use of "captchas," which are more commonly known as "word verification." The childhood act of spamming leads me to take this action temporarily.

I am well aware, and saddened by the fact, that while captchas filter out--thwart--spammers, they also make the act of making comments impossible for individuals who use screen readers.

Be assured, I am working to rectify that situation.


Saturday, June 4, 2011

Zoomer Chronicles: Hometown Tourist

     Today, Zoomer and I have been exploring my home of 28 years--downtown St. Paul.  Zoomer took me to places here at home that I have heard about--seen on a map--but, never explored as I did today.
     When was the last time you explored the town where you live as a visitor?  Are there any plaques on buildings?  Have you read them?
      Some years ago, I did just that.  Although from then til now, what sites I visited--what the inscriptions said--have long escaped my memory.
     Life has given me time-- Zoomer has given me the energy--to acquaint myself anew with Downtown St. Paul.  It seems counter-intuitive to set out on an expedition without a destination--without an ETA.  Yet, that is precisely how my expeditions have proceeded.  I thought I had to have a destination in order to have an interesting adventure.  Quite to the contrary.  Am I aimless?  No. Quite to the contrary.
     Temperate weather for pedestrian pursuits in Minnesota is a rare commodity.  It is to be treasured--life, however imperfect it may be, is to be treasured.  So, I shall not squander the snow-free days shining on me.
     Goals??? Yes.  Identify safe curb cuts.  Gain confidence crossing intersections.  Find as many new routes for Zoomer and me to travel.  Zoomer bores easily.  She needs stimulation.  She needs challenge.  
     Today, Zoomer and I passed a new threshold--the Robert Street Bridge over the Mississippi River.  A plaque passes my eyes.  Joy the Joystick jolted us to a halt.  She called our eyes, and ears to the words etched in stone.
     Robert Street Bridge.  When did it open?  It opened on August 6, 1926, after a two-year construction period.  Nearby Shepard Road.  Was it named after anyone?  Yes.  George M. Shepard, who was the St. Paul Department of Public Works director from the 1920s to the 1950s.
     This is hardly vital information.  This is hardly worth losing sleep over not knowing.  Yet, it is an invitation to keep our eyes, and ears open for all life that crosses our pathway.
     Thank you Zoomer, thank you Joy the Joystick, for awakening me to what I overlook that is right beneath my nose.

No comments:

Post a Comment