Word Verification...Accessibility...

Spamming necessitates the temporary use of "captchas," which are more commonly known as "word verification." The childhood act of spamming leads me to take this action temporarily.

I am well aware, and saddened by the fact, that while captchas filter out--thwart--spammers, they also make the act of making comments impossible for individuals who use screen readers.

Be assured, I am working to rectify that situation.


Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Zoomer Chronicles: Day 1

Patty on Zoomer, April 14, 2011

     It has been two weeks today--April 14, 2011--since I received my Zoomer and started to learn how to drive a wheelchair.  I feel impatient that I am not learning more quickly how to drive it.  Yet, what is the rush?
     I have never driven before.  OK, there was that white car with the red, white, and black racing stripes.  I loved that car.  Do you think I could still fit in it?  OK, stop laughing:) Maybe not.
Patty in her race car, 1960s

     I rode a big tricycle with a basket in back.  But, that was many years ago.
     So, I guess I should be patient.  I don't want to hurt myself, Zoomer, or other people I meet in my travels.  So far, I have not had serious injuries.  Just the portion of my armrest broken off, when I went through an opening that was too tight.
      If I am to make the most of--embrace--this new way of living, I need to name my intimate partner.  She is Zoomer.  I will keep her from going too fast.  I have discovered great joy in doing so, thanks to my joystick.  But, Zoomer will get me the power to move forward in my life.  
     Zoomer is getting me back into circulation.  But, she is taking me out differently than I imagined.  It is marvelous to have stamina, to be exerting no stress on my right ankle, or my left hip.  As much as I cringe when I go slamming into a door, I must not forget how marvelous it is to have what has been lost to me, and to be relieved of other concerns.
     Zoomer and I have been intimate with countless automatic doors, corners of walls, and baseboards.  Today, she and I met up with a new intimate--a closed elevator door.  More specifically, she and I got jammed in the doorway of the elevator.  My prayers were answered.  The elevator door did not open, and allow anyone to run into me before I could free myself.
     There are characters in this play.  My next door neighbors have witnessed my practicing in the hallways.  One neighbor is completely mystified as to what I am doing.  She is not malicious, just mystified.  Most understand.  Some acquaintances celebrate the securing of the chair, my progress, and my confidence.  Acquaintances, and friends alike are extremely encouraging.  Have you ever stopped and thought about who is encouraging you on a given day?  I do not need to contend with the regular work world anymore, so it may be easier for me to recognize people who encourage me.  Yet, is it possible to identify who encourages you, at the same time that you are able to identify the people who are your obstacles in reaching your goals--your aspirations?
     To paraphrase a hero of mine, Walter Cronkite, "And that's the way it is." That was Day 1 of The Zoomer Chronicles.

No comments:

Post a Comment