Word Verification...Accessibility...

Spamming necessitates the temporary use of "captchas," which are more commonly known as "word verification." The childhood act of spamming leads me to take this action temporarily.

I am well aware, and saddened by the fact, that while captchas filter out--thwart--spammers, they also make the act of making comments impossible for individuals who use screen readers.

Be assured, I am working to rectify that situation.


Thursday, April 28, 2011

Zoomer Chronicles: A Privilege

     Only two weeks have passed since my wheelchair was delivered, and I started to learn how to use it.  FDX-MCG is not an intuitive, or catchy name.  So, for now I will call my chair Zoomer.
     Mind you, I have NEVER driven any vehicle in my 51 years.  OK, OK, I have driven countless people crazy without even trying:)  That is second nature to me:)  But, this,  this whole driving business  is brand new to me.  Intellectually, I knew that there would be a learning curve, but, I couldn't imagine what that learning curve would be.
    Today I set out intent on going to the grocery store.  That is familiar territory.  Then, I thought I would board my Zoomer, and head down to the Y to go swimming.  Those are simple tasks that require no thought to do in your life, right?  Well...
     People ARE very willing to help.  I was very apprehensive that people would be standoffish and condescending.  I do try to warn people that I am just learning, so they do not endanger their lives while they are helping me.  I have not experienced any standoffishness, or condescension.
     This learning experience makes me wonder how long it takes to learn how to drive.  I have enormous respect for how well so many people I know drive.  I have not appreciated it fully until now.  As deep as my appreciation is, I will never forget riding with my uncle during the wintertime in Minnesota.  My uncle did not turn around a curve wide enough.  The result?  We took part of a snow bank with us.  No one was hurt.  My uncle was not at all ruffled by what he had done:)  But, most people I know, and have ridden with are excellent drivers.
     Driving is a privilege.  It is allowing me to get out to live a fuller life than I have lived recently.  How fast do we ZOOM to get to our destination?  Do we appreciate its privilege?  Do we see what we pass along our journey?  May we see the sights along the way.  May we mark those places along the way to return to, in order to live more fully--breathe more deeply.  May we take home with us--make resident in our beings--the people, sights, and experiences on our journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment