Word Verification...Accessibility...

Spamming necessitates the temporary use of "captchas," which are more commonly known as "word verification." The childhood act of spamming leads me to take this action temporarily.

I am well aware, and saddened by the fact, that while captchas filter out--thwart--spammers, they also make the act of making comments impossible for individuals who use screen readers.

Be assured, I am working to rectify that situation.


Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A Temple? A Broken Body?

Or, do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and  that you are not your own?
                                             1 Corinthians 6:19
    I fail miserably as someone who can quote the Bible chapter and verse from cover to cover.  That is not my aspiration, at least not for the sole purpose of making such a claim.  Yet, I do listen each Sunday to the words spoken, and for the messages intended for my ears to hear.  Though the Catholic liturgy revisits the same readings in three-year cycles, I never meet the readings as the same person with the same ears.
    In recent days, two concepts central to being Christian are clashing--calling for some sort of reconciliation that I do not recognize sufficient to utter it.  I must confess, I may be taking the words too literally.  I hope not.  I pray I will be called on it, if I am.  I would rather understand than be right, if those are my choices.  But, I do not want to forgo the blessing of being enlightened because I was afraid of what literal translations call me to do, or how to act.
     What are the two clashing concepts?  Listen.  "...your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God."  Now, the breaking of the Body of Christ, being broken--being willing to be vulnerable to each of one's life moments....that is our call.
     How do "your body is a temple," and "being broken" reconcile?  Am I taking temple and being broken too literally?  Am I trying to make apply to everyone else what I am confronting?  Probably.  Am I mistaken?  Maybe.  Is the question worth asking?  Is the reconciliation between your body is a temple and a broken body possible?  Is it worthy of seeking?

No comments:

Post a Comment