Word Verification...Accessibility...

Spamming necessitates the temporary use of "captchas," which are more commonly known as "word verification." The childhood act of spamming leads me to take this action temporarily.

I am well aware, and saddened by the fact, that while captchas filter out--thwart--spammers, they also make the act of making comments impossible for individuals who use screen readers.

Be assured, I am working to rectify that situation.


Saturday, March 19, 2011

Tables Turned

     Today, I finished another chapter in setting the wheels in motion toward a different life--getting beyond my home on my own power with the use of an electric wheelchair.  Hopefully, with doctor appointments, the requisite paperwork documenting my need, the wheelchair will be forthcoming soon.  I am not sure how to define "soon."  Days?  I doubt.  Several weeks? More likely.
     Tables turned?  Why?
     I am coming to terms with the tables turned.  For a lifetime, without much thought that there was an option, I strove to achieve Mom's mantra, "You will learn to live independently."  Anyone who dared to challenge that mantra was subject to my fierce defensiveness--a side to me whose strength I underestimated.
     Fast forward to July 2009.  A new lifetime--a new life orientation--began by necessity.  Rather than pounding on my chest with pride, "Look Mom, I am living independently," I was called to testify to my need for dependency.  It was an odd, uncomfortable--humbling--position in which to find myself.  Yet, that was where I was called to live--to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment