Word Verification...Accessibility...

Spamming necessitates the temporary use of "captchas," which are more commonly known as "word verification." The childhood act of spamming leads me to take this action temporarily.

I am well aware, and saddened by the fact, that while captchas filter out--thwart--spammers, they also make the act of making comments impossible for individuals who use screen readers.

Be assured, I am working to rectify that situation.


Saturday, March 19, 2011

Strength...Weakness...A Strong Will

     We must learn to pray out of our weaknesses so that God can become our strength." Joan Chitister     
     I found this passage tonight.  It was posted in Sojourners' Verse and Voice.  Joan Chitister calls us to do much more than dig ourselves--individually, and collectively--out of a hole--a hole of bravado.  We shudder at--we deny--the very presence of weakness in our lives.
      Weakness.  "Not in my backyard."
      Weakness.  We don't know how to live with it--in our lives, much less in our selves.  
      Strength.  We cannot live without it in our lives--in our world.
      Weakness.  What does it mean?  Strength. What does that mean?
      We are at a defining moment in our lives--in our world.  Why?  What is so special about this moment? Is it just because Joan Chittister's passage was selected by Sojourners today?  I think not. 
     In my personal life, surgery prompted me to confront bodily strength and weakness.  Realizing that now I may walk without pain raises the question, "How long has it been?"  Last spring, perhaps?  If not, when?  I do not know.  I denied my weakness.  
     My surgery was designed to treat my "weak" ankle---my weak foot.  In four to six weeks, I thought should be at full strength. 
     cure is resignation's salvation--pain's hope.  Yet, a cure is more elusive than salvation's promise to us.  A cure is a dangerous temptation.  His return on investment is shallow, at best.  Pain's hope must be deeper than a cure.  Pain's hope is far from easy.  Yet, openly willed each day, it is far more fulfilling than any cure could ever be.
     May we meet this day with a strong will--
     A conscious choice to embrace what is life-giving.
     May our strong will be a declarative act of living,
     Rather than a defiant part of speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment