Word Verification...Accessibility...

Spamming necessitates the temporary use of "captchas," which are more commonly known as "word verification." The childhood act of spamming leads me to take this action temporarily.

I am well aware, and saddened by the fact, that while captchas filter out--thwart--spammers, they also make the act of making comments impossible for individuals who use screen readers.

Be assured, I am working to rectify that situation.


Sunday, January 22, 2012

De-Baptism


Rene Lebouvier requested that his local Catholic church erase his name from the baptismal register
“Baptism is a spiritual gift, it’s bigger than we are,” said Bernard Podvin, spokesman for the French Bishops Confederation, who would not comment on the specifics of the Normandy case. “It can’t be confined to a purely administrative framework.”

     A dagger pierces my chest, as I read of Rene Lebouvier’s de-baptism.—Rene, and apparently many others in Europe.
     De-baptism.
     Pain.  Deep…deep sadness.
     De-baptism.
     I am a woman guided by deep respect, and admiration for the deliberate commitments other individuals make.  Deep respect, and admiration for such deliberation surmounts any disagreement I may have with the decisions made--with the individual deliberation.
     De-baptism.
     Yet, I feel pain.  Deep…deep sadness.
     De-baptism.
     I am neither a Church apologist, nor am I a crusader against the failings of the Church.
     I know people, who are committed apologists, and dedicated crusaders.  I know individuals, who have left the Church in anger, with deep hurt, disappointment, disillusionment, as well as for reasons I may never know, or understand.
     I know them.  I respect them.  I admire them.  I love them.
     Yet, none of that appeases deep...deep sadness this news delivers to my spirit.
     I do not feel anger.  No outrage.  No betrayal.
     Confusion?  Disillusionment?
     No.  Such call for more energy than is mine to give.
     De-baptism.
     Pain.  Deep...deep sadness.
     Baptism.  My own baptism.
     I remember that Day.
     Baptism day.  Sheer terror.  "Wait.  I can't do this.  I don't have all of the answers yet."
     Baptism day.  Sheer terror.  "Wait.  I am supposed to know much more than I do."
     Baptism day.  Sheer terror.  "Wait.  They are going to find out I am a fraud."
     De-baptism.  
     Sadness...deep sadness.
     Baptism.  My own baptism.
     I remember that Day.
     Joy.  Celebration.  An ecumenical blast.
     May individuals, who commit themselves to de-baptism, discover joy--be blessed with celebration.

1 comment:

  1. I remember your Baptism day, too, Patty! It remains one of the highlights of spiritual growth in my own life. And yes, I share your deep sadness for the very idea of de-Baptism. May people who experience it enter into a deeper re-Baptism, even if we (or they) can't yet imagine it.

    ReplyDelete