Word Verification...Accessibility...

Spamming necessitates the temporary use of "captchas," which are more commonly known as "word verification." The childhood act of spamming leads me to take this action temporarily.

I am well aware, and saddened by the fact, that while captchas filter out--thwart--spammers, they also make the act of making comments impossible for individuals who use screen readers.

Be assured, I am working to rectify that situation.


Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Zoomer Chronicles: Zoomer Goes to Yankton

     Yankton?  Yes, Yankton, South Dakota.  Tonight, I received an email that took me back to Yankton, South Dakota--a speech I gave during college on the topic of handicap awareness.  Zoomer reminded me of Yankton.  In 1982, the speech I gave was the result of my audacity.  I made contact with someone I met at a conference addressing handicap awareness.
     A month ago, Zoomer and I were cut in front of by three different drivers during a two-week period.  The incidents led me to contact friends on Facebook to determine whether I was correct to think that I had the right to expect patient, yielding drivers.
     I was inspired to write letters to the editors of the StarTribune, and the Pioneer Press--the two local newspapers.  Then, I decided to send emails to local media outlets.
     Tonight, I was taken back to Yankton--to the audacity that led to my invitation to speak there.  Tonight, I received an email from a local news producer.
     It is odd.  I don't know yet how this will turn out, if anything is aired.  However, I never imagined myself speaking out regarding wheelchair use.  I resisted getting one, much less using one.
     We shall see what happens.  The preliminary talk is mounting a camera on Zoomer to get a perspective of travelling in a wheelchair--encountering the outside world.
     I don't know what Zoomer will show.  The image of where the camera will be mounted intrigues me.  The notion that Zoomer could open some eyes is exciting.  We shall see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment