Word Verification...Accessibility...

Spamming necessitates the temporary use of "captchas," which are more commonly known as "word verification." The childhood act of spamming leads me to take this action temporarily.

I am well aware, and saddened by the fact, that while captchas filter out--thwart--spammers, they also make the act of making comments impossible for individuals who use screen readers.

Be assured, I am working to rectify that situation.


Saturday, August 27, 2011

Epilepsy Chronicles: The Other Side

      I turned the corner.  Sixth and Cedar Streets.  The 14B bus stop.  I have arrived.  1:30 P.M.   I am ready.  A 2 P.M. appointment with my college adviser.  My purpose?  To enroll in a pastoral ministry program.  I am prepared.
     As I round the corner, a man in his mid-60s is struggling to stand up an unresponsive woman from the ground.
     "Is she having a seizure?" I ask.  I know the answer.  I need my question's time to marshal strength.
     Is she having a seizure?  I think she is having a seizure.  This is strange.  Not unfamiliar, but strange nonetheless.  Never have I been on this side of a seizure.
     I grabbed the older man's arm firmly.
     "She seems so helpless.  Are they ever going to get here?" the man cried plaintively.
     "Let the woman sit here on the bench.  The police are on their way.  I know it seems like a long time...
      You have no idea how much I understand...the time warp...I understand...seconds seem like minutes...minutes seem like hours...I understand...believe me, I understand.
     Several minutes later, help arrived.  Finally, help has arrived.  She will be safe now.  The paramedics arrived.  She will get medication in her bloodstream immediately--anticonvulsants.  They will minimize recurrence of such seizures.
...
     Moments later, the 14B bus arrived.  I was off to meet my college adviser.  I was off to explore enrolling in a pastoral ministry program.
     I boarded the bus.  I sat down.  Suddenly, tears came streaming down my face.  I lost my composure completely.
     My witness at the bus stop was no accident.

1 comment: