Word Verification...Accessibility...

Spamming necessitates the temporary use of "captchas," which are more commonly known as "word verification." The childhood act of spamming leads me to take this action temporarily.

I am well aware, and saddened by the fact, that while captchas filter out--thwart--spammers, they also make the act of making comments impossible for individuals who use screen readers.

Be assured, I am working to rectify that situation.


Monday, April 18, 2011

Insurance...Prayer for Safekeeping...

     Watching coverage of the 97 tornadoes this weekend, and updating my homeowner's insurance policy seem at odds.  Survivors of tornadoes are heard to say that the loss of their property is unimportant in light of the preservation of their own lives.  Although I have never survived a natural disaster, or other loss of property, my perspective has been challenged.
     No homeowner's insurance, literally, may insure my family, my friends, my faith community.  Faith--prayer--is the only "investment" that I may make toward preserving my loved ones, to the degree that I am able to do so.
     As to my personal property, I find it difficult to summarize my valuable personal assets.  I understand.
     My kitchen?  My kitchen poses no problems.  My kitchen? An electric self-cleaning oven, freezer/refrigerator, microwave, and dishwasher.  My living room?  A couch, chairs, dining room set, stereo, stereo cabinet, glass/wood display case, and teak chest/table.  My bedroom:  bed, computer, printer/copier, cds, clothing, books. Original price paid.  Some were homemade.  Others were purchased so many years ago that their original price is hard to ascertain.  Current estimated value?  This raises two questions.  First, using a search engine, it is possible to approximate some concrete value of the goods.  Second, what would the price be to replace the goods?
     I do not wish any natural disaster test my statements.  With that said, I find myself questioning what to consider worthy of  replacement.  I do not consider myself to be a materialistic person.  I intend no self-aggrandizement.
     Rather, what is most important to me?  I confess I love clothing.  It is not grand, no do I wear any specific piece of clothing to impress anyone--to be elevated to a higher class in society.  My enjoyment of classic clothing is for the positive attitude with which it clothes my spirit.  I love music.  I do not purchase, and own cds in order to be a fan of a musical genre, or of a specific musician.  My love of music soothes my soul--calms my spirit.
     Books.  Were something to take all of my books, there are many that I would not replace per se.  How do I place a value on poetry books from my parents--Robert Frost, and a children's anthology book?  How do I value a book from my paternal grandfather?  My parents' World Book Encyclopedia set from the 1960s.    
     Pictures of my ancestors dating back to the early 1900s.  Writing about my disabilities, research about my ancestors, correspondence from friends and family, and pictures taken throughout a lifetime.  These are priceless.  In the context of my family, friends, faith community, no prayer of safekeeping is appropriate.
     Thank you.  Rarely am I speechless to identify what is of value--what are gifts--to me.  Yet, when trying to compare what may be replaced with what is priceless, I was left without a single word to enter on a spreadsheet.
    The one gift--the one treasure--that I can put a price on is the electric wheelchair that spans the width of my hallway.  When insured, she will transport me to destinations that I have forgotten during the past two years.  I am grateful for the time and support that have moved me from fear to resistance, to acceptance, and excitement.

No comments:

Post a Comment