Word Verification...Accessibility...

Spamming necessitates the temporary use of "captchas," which are more commonly known as "word verification." The childhood act of spamming leads me to take this action temporarily.

I am well aware, and saddened by the fact, that while captchas filter out--thwart--spammers, they also make the act of making comments impossible for individuals who use screen readers.

Be assured, I am working to rectify that situation.


Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Free Speech and Name-Calling

     Just now, someone commented on the burning of the Koran.  Evidently, on April 18, 2011, Andrew Ryan--a former English soldier--was sentenced to 70 days in jail for burning the Koran.  The commentator said that he understood, and defended the right of free speech, yet, something to effect that this idiot needed to be stopped from his action of burning the Koran.
     I do believe in the freedom of religion.  As a citizen of the United States, I did not face any action from the American government--state, federal, or local--when I changed my religious affiliation from Universalism/Unitarianism to Christianity.  When I joined the Catholic Church, I did not fear any adverse action from the government.  Concerns I had with regard to my actions--my affirmations--related to individuals, not to the government of my native land.
     I do believe in freedom of speech.  I am enriched by sharing ideas with people, whose ideas differ from my own.  If we are open to being enlightened, both of us will grow from the free exchange of ideas.  I am a native-born U.S. citizen.  I have never been faced with the choice of affirming my allegiance to a country external to my birth.  So, in some ways, I feel less qualified to speak as someone who appreciates fully the right to speak freely--to speak freely without suffering retribution from my government.  Technology is a partner with freedom of speech that makes this blog, and many other blogs viable forms of expression.  I do appreciate that opportunity.  No, it is a guilty pleasure:)
     Yet, as strong as my commitment is, I cannot reconcile the acceptability of name-calling.  I abhor it.  No amount of commitment to free religious belief, or free speech gives license to any name-calling.  It just doesn't.   Whether the name-calling be done to the face of the individual or group being targeted, neither is acceptable.  Neither form of name-calling is moral, just, ethical, or humane.  Many people refer to respect for life, and never consider name-calling to be subject to standards of human decency.   I am a very open-minded, reasonable, and rational individual.  I am open to compromise on most everything else.  Yet, name-calling is not open to compromise.   If I arrive at the precipice of name-calling, then I am being called to make amends with the soon-to-be target of any name-calling.
     If I were to resort to name-calling, then I would be missing the opportunity to transform my venom into passionate advocacy for an issue or individual being denigrated.  I cannot commit myself to name-calling.  I cannot avoid opportunities to serve as an advocate.

No comments:

Post a Comment