Word Verification...Accessibility...

Spamming necessitates the temporary use of "captchas," which are more commonly known as "word verification." The childhood act of spamming leads me to take this action temporarily.

I am well aware, and saddened by the fact, that while captchas filter out--thwart--spammers, they also make the act of making comments impossible for individuals who use screen readers.

Be assured, I am working to rectify that situation.


Saturday, March 12, 2011

One Voice

     Today I learned that my words have traveled around the world, without my ever leaving St. Paul, Minnesota in the United States.  I reached out, and my words reside with one person in Canada, Croatia, Denmark, France, Ghana, Hong Kong, Russia, Singapore, Sweden, and Vietnam.
     That is humbling.  Not so much because of any grand message I offer, but, more because technology has enabled us to touch one another beyond our physical reach--that is humbling.
     Without being embraced, technology is no spectacle worth celebrating.  Yet, when we stop....look around, and listen to our own hearts, we may learn what we believe--what we wonder.  Technology welcomes our beliefs' wonderings--our curiosity's questions.
     I do not know by name the world citizens my words have touched.  I never may know the depth of the impressions that I left.  Yet, to leave any impression is a beginning.  More often than not, we hear of peoples--of countries--who do not listen to one another.  It may be they do listen to one another, but, if they do, they do not discover a way to co-exist.
     Croatia?  I confess that my one-time sharp ear to world events has dulled to conflict.  I do not know how to
     What do I know of Denmark?  One short stop through Copenhagen's airport many years ago...one week hosting a Danish social worker during his visit to Minnesota....these are the bird's eye views I have had of Denmark.
     What of France do I know?  A bratty teenager's short visit is my limited view.
     Of Ghana?  To my chagrin, I know only that she is located in Africa.  Ghana joined the United Nations in 1957.  But, of people, of the culture, I know nothing.
      What do I know of Hong Kong?  A distant relative lived in Hong Kong at one time.  Yet, all that his experience left me to believe was that its pace is fast.  That is telling of little--at least little of depth.
       Sweden.  Of Sweden, I know little.  She is a Scandanavian country.  As such, my Norwegian roots fill me with a fondness for the progressive perspectives toward living that Swedes share.  Yet, I am chagrin to say I know little.
       Russia.  Ah, Russia.  I have come close to losing a family member to Russia several times.  No, I am speaking of no threat to bodily safety.  Quite to the contrary.  In 1967, Russia was just beyond Alaska on the map.  I swear.  Long before we had heard of Sarah Palin, Russia captured the imagination of  family members.  Five trips have ensued over forty years.  Russian love remains a family passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment