Word Verification...Accessibility...

Spamming necessitates the temporary use of "captchas," which are more commonly known as "word verification." The childhood act of spamming leads me to take this action temporarily.

I am well aware, and saddened by the fact, that while captchas filter out--thwart--spammers, they also make the act of making comments impossible for individuals who use screen readers.

Be assured, I am working to rectify that situation.


Saturday, March 12, 2011

Compassion's Cavern

     I try to comprehend the impact of the quake--of the tsunami in Japan.  What nuclear problems exist?  Never have I experienced an earthquake, much less a tsunami.  Yet, I did know a college classmate, who grew up near the Three Mile Island nuclear power plant in Pennsylvania.  In 1979, following a nuclear incident at Three Mile Island, if memory serves me, my classmate went home.  Details have faded over 30 years time.  Yet, I remember her fear--her apprehension.
     Though personally untouched by such major natural disasters, I am mesmerized by the pictures--the descriptions of the experience.
     How is it possible to comprehend such an enormous force of nature?  As a human being--as a person of conscience--I care to close the gap that hinders my compassion.
     Some say that in order to show a compassionate response to such devastating events, it is necessary to denigrate the scale of our own problems in relation to the dramatic events--the devastating earthquake, the turbulent tsunami.  With all due respect, I beg to differ.  Rather, I offer to you another response.
     When destruction strikes, we are called to live our own lives with increased dedication equivalent to the intensity of the destruction.  We are called to discernment.  Do we have the requisite resources of money, time--commitment of talent, or spirit--to improve the situation in some way?  If not, do we have the requisite strength of spirit to live with greater intensity--with deeper commitment--to the passions of our own lives?  We are called to discernment.
     God help me--God help us--to resist the temptation to compare our lives with the people and situations in need as a means of escaping our responsibilities to help.  We help no one to speak of others as being less fortunate.  Such talk only deepens the cavern that separates us from one another, when we are in most need.

No comments:

Post a Comment