Word Verification...Accessibility...

Spamming necessitates the temporary use of "captchas," which are more commonly known as "word verification." The childhood act of spamming leads me to take this action temporarily.

I am well aware, and saddened by the fact, that while captchas filter out--thwart--spammers, they also make the act of making comments impossible for individuals who use screen readers.

Be assured, I am working to rectify that situation.


Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Guns. Self-Defense. Inner Resources.

     An understanding of what I do not understand regarding guns emerges as I watch the news--general crime stories involving guns--and listen to coverage of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings in Newtown, Connecticut.
     My understanding--my lack of understanding--falls into two categories.  First, beliefs regarding guns as vehicles of self-defense, and secondly, is my lack of understanding regarding the facts of guns.  I shall address the first category as the foundation of my reflections for this post.  I need to reflect further on the second category, and how to formulate my thoughts, and questions into a forthcoming post.  I can ill-afford haste.
     Some individuals say they want guns for purposes of self-defense--defense of self, or of family.  I do not.  I could say that I do not feel comfortable in holding the gun, and in aiming it appropriately in a timely manner.  Such is true, and more so today with the presence of essential tremors in my left hand--tremors aggravated when I am very nervous.  So, that is true, in part.  But, to a far greater degree, I cannot bring myself to act so harshly toward another human being.  I just cannot do so.  Further, and most importantly, I believe that stronger than any bullet I might pierce the skin of another human being are my inner resources.  Gun control advocates speak of the dangers of guns being used against the owners, who purchased them for self-protection--guns being used by perpetrators of crime against gun owners.  I subscribe to that belief.
     I take it one step further.
     Beyond the reliability of any gun, whatever the type may be, is the reliability of my inner resources.  I prefer relying on my inner resources any day.
     As I child, I encountered many bullies--not everyone was a bully, but, there were more than my taste.  Whenever, I encountered bullies, I asked myself what I could say to stop their behaviors.  I failed many times, yet, I could never bring myself to return the favor of the hurt they inflicted on me, by trying to hurt them intentionally.  Although I failed many more times than I like to admit, I developed tremendous inner resources.  Some have said that I am too sensitive.  I resist that characterization.  Insights have been given to me through that sensitivity that have given me tremendous inner resources.
    We need to look at inner resources--at nurturing strong inner resources to serve us through challenges that might otherwise call for a gun.  We cannot afford to overlook the treasury of inner resources

1 comment:

  1. Hey there I am so glad I found your weblog, I really found you by accident, while I was looking on Google for something else,
    Anyways I am here now and would just like to say thanks a lot for a
    fantastic post and a all round interesting blog (I also
    love the theme/design), I don’t have time to look over it all at the moment but I
    have saved it and also added in your RSS feeds,
    so when I have time I will be back to read more, Please do keep up the great work.



    Here is my website how to make money online

    ReplyDelete